Tuesday, October 28, 2008

When God Gives You Lemons, Make Lemonade

Write your homework down. Be prompt. Pay attention. Do not procrastinate. Have good attendance. Ask questions. Never settle for less. All of these will lead to good grades and a great education. However, there are certain points in life that some people will never grasp. For instance a mathematical mind may not be able to grasp the details of the color wheel. Or possibly a music major understanding the laws of physics. People are not made to be good in all matters. I had one occurrence with this when I took and economics class. I never studied so hard and did so bad in a class as I did in that class. My mind is creative. It likes color schemes and logical flows of pictures and hands on learning. This occurred in high school and when I came to college I swore I would never take an econ class. I have yet to take one as a senior. Out of all my classes I manage to come across the hardest class for me my senior year. Radio News. Radio news has challenged me more then any other class, but also taught more then all my others as well.

What is radio news? We write, produce, along with the reporting and anchoring for a two minute news minute each week. Seems simple right? Well, at the beginning of the semester I was not even close to knowing what I was doing. For whatever reason, I could not sync my thoughts with my actions. For the first time in my life I felt like I was cooking in my own kitchen for the first time. Meaning I had all the skills and tools but I did not know how to put it all together. I was frustrated. I did not like the class. I did not care to do radio news. I thought it all stupid, pointless and played only to my weaknesses. Unfortunately I needed this class to graduate. I was stuck. It was either suck it up and work until I was blue and crazy or not get a degree. Easily guessed I choose to suck it up. I started being proactive about my life and my grade. I went to the professor shared my concern about not passing because of my “mental block”. I re-arranged my schedule to dedicate more time to the classes demands. I even went so far as to taking a pre-test for ADD. I became so adamant about doing well in radio news that it was almost sickening. Although I was in a dead belief that nothing would work and I was destined to fail radio news, things changed. My thoughts changed.

My perseverance for doing well started to pay off. I changed my schedule to dedicate Sundays to news. I found new ways to focus in class. I and believe it or not it helped. I was not a lost and helpless puppy. I knew my stuff. Slowly I started grasping the concepts in action. My writing was improving. my sound clips were getting better. I anchor better and my reporting is better. I feel proud that I have turned myself around so much. I also feel more confident in myself that I can do it. I have the abilities I just need to apply them fully. As much as I hate to admit it the class has actually taught me a lot not only about myself but also about life real world. Learning how to talk to people for a beat has been one of the things I learned. Asking people to help you and learning to ask the right questions is par t of what I have learned as well. A big part of what I learned is learning to listen and take my time. Because I lie to be involved and do a lot I feel that I should be speedy with everything. After much ado I have come to realize what I have learned transcends just the news room. My efforts have bared fruit (lemons) and I am proud of what I have made with them (lemonade).

No comments: