Thursday, October 9, 2008

My Mentor

There are a few things in college that will surmount anything you learn or do in any class. Mentors, best friends, and Just dealing with life through college will teach you leaps and bounds beyond what you would imagine. For many, including myself, you will find a person, a friend, who look up to and admire. I have found that person. Carsen Nesbitt… a very professional person, fair, a good student, a good sister and a great friend. I can honestly say that I look up to her more then anyone I know. Beyond my family, beyond my best friend, beyond any mentor or teacher that could pass my way… Carsen proves to be a person I can admire. There are so many reasons I look up to Carsen on a personal and professional level but I only want to give you a few instances.

I meet her through Sigma Kappa, Student Government Association, and Theta Chi. After I got to know her I started to watch what she did in SGA, in the sorority, how she handled herself in tough situations. She was professional and fair in every position she held. I started asking her opinion on different decisions I was making in my personal life as well as leadership positions. There is one specific instance that I remember made me think she knows what she is talking about.
My first semester Junior year I had my heart set on one thing, being president of Sigma Kappa. Now what you have to understand is I like to be involved, so I tend to be in everything… or at least as much as possible. I like to be busy. But I was so dedicated to being president, I was willing to give it all up. I did my homework too. I talked to the current president and Carsen. I need her opinion. She told me what people thought and how it could hinder me. She told me people thought I was too busy. Her honesty allowed me to try and to position myself so people would my dedication. Things happened and I didn’t end up running, but it was her who was able to walk me through my decision.
Carsen graduated May in 2008. I miss her dearly but I found that I have so much to learn from her still. She is in Law school and loves every minute of it. She knows what she wants and knows how to get it. She is also amazing at what she does. I love taking to her about what I should do when I graduate because I want what she has. She is happy with that she is doing in Law School and surrounded by good friends. I want to love what I do and she has given me such good advice as to what to do personally and professionally. Thankfully, I know that no matter what I do she will be there to help me and listen.

No comments: