Wednesday, October 15, 2008

“Scary Judge of Talent”

I maybe a senior but I will be the first to admit I do not know everything. I do however consider my self to be a “scary judge of talent” (Quote From The Recruit). Well a decent judge at the least. Of my many successors in the broadcasting major I would have to say there are few who interest me. One of these successors Andy Bortz sparks my interest. He may not be on air talent but he is amazing at music. Now what do I mean Music? Well there are some people who can sing or play music but there are others who listen to music. Listening is Andy specialty.

OK go ahead call me crazy. But there is a definite difference in listening to music for fun, listening with a critical ear and listen to capture the moments. Andy captures the beat the moment the personality of the music. When he listens to music he listens to the details. The drum, the flute, the piano, the down beat, and the upbeat. He has an uncanny ability to take music and mix it to fit the ear. Andy knows what people want. He can take a group of people define the audience and choose music accordingly. The transition is smooth and there is just enough old and new in the mix to make everyone happy. So what exactly would I say Andy is good … no, no, great at? DJing. Yes he knows the ins and outs of a radio station. Fro working the board or on air talent, it just comes naturally. He sounds great too. He understands how to move his voice with the music. Understanding when are appropriate times to be excited or calm is key. Working the Audience is another thing, he is good at. Lets use the “who cares?” rule. Taking a group of Caucasian 42 year olds and playing 50 cent, is not going to do much good for anyone. But take a group of male 18 to 21 year olds and that is much more reasonable. Andy grasps this concept. What is even more impressive is what he does with the music. He can mix songs that most people would never know can go together. I have heard some music and he honestly just has talent.


There is no rhyme or reason why people have certain talents. But to be able to find what your talent is at a relatively young age is quite and amazing. I believe that if you thoroughly enjoy something then it makes it your efforts twice as good. And I think in Andy’s case this happens. He does genuinely enjoy music working it and molding it. And maybe that above all else is what makes him shine.

No comments: