Sunday, April 13, 2008

A View From above

This past Friday A professional came in to view our work. It was wonderful and so exciting! I was very sad because i had to go take a test and couldn't stay for the last 20 min. But for the time I was there i learned so much! I always love getting feedback from professionals.I personally think it id one of the best ways to learn . They are the ones out there doing it everyday. They know what type of work will be put on air and what won't. The best part is after criticizing you work you can make changes and be that much better.
Well we could only choose one package that we had done thus far. I chose my most recent one about student rovers (high school and college students who help out at the voting polls). I used it for a Deadline assignment in class and i shot it completely on my own. The shot went really well and i felt that package and that stand up in it all were pretty decent. When the lady looked at my package she said to use the diamond effect and interview and actually student and follow them around. I did actually interview three students but lets just say if you put a camera in front of high school students they don't always know what to do with themselves. So I did attempt something along those lines. What I really learned wasn't really from what she told me about my package specifically but she told us all that had an almost reoccurring theme. Use less officials and make them more personable with an almost one on one theme between the viewer and a person in your story that they can connect with. This will not only make it more interesting for the viewer but they will be able to understand the point of the story better. Another thing i learned is stay away form boring officials. The only thing they do is bog the story down and nobody wants to see a a meeting after they have been in one for work all day. The last thing i learned was how to ask interviewers questions. Although she did not give me examples of them she didn't even say anything about the questions that i asked the interviewees but i realized i need to ask them better questions. Asking more personal questions to get a more personal answer will enhance the package. Also I already have the boring information and the statistics why would i need it relayed to me again by another person. I also think i need to put a few more stats in my packages so the audience learns more. Overall for as busy as i have been I think I learned more this week then any other week thus far. I'm actually pretty pleased with how far i have come in reporting this semester.

1 comment:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Constructive criticism and feedback won't kill us-- but we must process it-- and integrate what we learn from it and put it into practice before it makes us stronger.