Sunday, April 27, 2008

Understanding

There are many times in life when you think you have it all figured out. You sit and think I know how to do this, I know what they will say and I think everyone will think it’s a great idea. Unfortunately, no one knows everything. You can’t make everyone happy and in most cases nothing is done perfectly. Everyone has there own perception, and no matter what you do someone will think it is wonderful and someone else will think it is awful. But what does any of this have to do with broadcasting? Well, I can tell you… everything. FI you understand that people can find the good and the bad in everything then you can prepare yourself when you present your work. Now this applies for those who work hard and still end up getting torn apart when presenting a package or news story. Granted if you just aren’t prepared then that is your own fault. But if you have prepared and present your paper news story, package, new TV segment, or whatever then not everyone has to like it. Broadcasting is a hard industry, a cut-throat industry. Unfortunately there are so many different tastes out there that it is hard to please all of them. Understanding that you just need to please the majority or the boss is a big stepping stone. Whether they are right or not they do control what happens. I found this out a few days ago.

One of my classes had presentations for a very big project we had great ideas in our class for these different projects. For many weeks and weeks were spent deciding on topics for our projects. We wanted them to be perfect. The topic had to be something that interested us because we were going to be spending a lot of time on them. The day we presented I knew was going to be hard. I was confident and very adamant about my topic. It was everything I wanted caring, eventful and patriotic. I, like everyone else, had put way too much effort into trying to find something that worked for me. I knew going into it my presentation that my professors might not like my idea but I thought that it would still do the trick. I was wrong. They liked the patriotic factor but thought it too eventful for the project I was doing. While I disagreed and felt that they missed the whole point I succeeded and decided to go along with it. This is where the understanding that you can’t please everyone comes in handy. I knew they might not like the complete idea and I would have to alter it. I didn’t mind that they do not fully like it. By understanding that not everyone likes one concept, I had already prepared myself for it. I’ve decided in broadcasting you have to be able to adapt to anything. Whether it is as simple as the change in a news schedule or a completely new proposal… adapting and understanding is the key.

und

No comments: