Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Nice computers… Niiiiice computers


I had a dream. It was a dream a documentary, a good documentary. It had emotion, caught everyone’s attention. It was interesting and it made a person think. But then the computer came to life and ate the documentary and there were only crumbs left. Everyone ran away and I stood in aw of the technological monster. I stood appalled at the time it took to completely disappear. Then I woke up. I sat there in my bed and realized that I absolutely despise technology and was working on my capstone way too much. For those who do not know capstone is what Westminster College calls your “senior project”. Depending on your major depends on the project. Overall, it is a class in which you exhibit the skills you have accumulated over three years of study. Well for my capstone project I settled on a set of three women who have all battled breast cancer and come together with an amazing story. The challenge to choose my project was easy to my several technology blunders and bumps along the way.

Starting this I was nervous. I am still nervous. my biggest fear was technology and my absolute horrible luck with it. Everything started when I filmed four interviews and captured background shots. I checked my equipment before I went to interview; however, when I got there the audio decided not to work. Now I am not a complete camera wiz but I know my stuff. The lovelier microphone (mic) decided not to work so I went with the stick mic. Then camera started beeping like I’ve never heard it before … in all 2 1/2 years of being a BC major. Figured out it was the battery so I changed it. Finally I finished.

The hard part came when I started to edit. I have the software on my laptop, so I decided to reap the benefits of working from home. Well in the middle of editing my computer crashed and took 2 of my interviews with it. Luckily I did a better re-shoot. So that put me here at today when I tried to capture but the computer will not work (I’m not the only one who had that problem) and then I had a “lost-all of my documents scare” but they were just hidden for some reason. Through it all I have learned something. Patience and living in the moment. Being patient and taking your time will cut down on stress and usually produce better outcomes. The second living in the moment ….. meaning you can only do so much at one time things will get done just take it one step at a time and live the best you can and do the most you can right now. Through the bumps and blunders I have managed to gather and produce a nice beginning start... more then once... with a very good prospective end. So basically I am pretty happy with it.

No comments: